Thursday 4 June 2009

PAIN (verbs and nouns)

I started doing some reserach trying to answer a previsou post and came across lots of verbs to express PAIN...

Are you familiar with these?

- to prickle [T] If thin sharp objects prickle you, they cause slight pain by touching against your skin
e.g. She lay on the grass and the stiff dry grass prickled the back of her legs.

- to tingle [I] 1 to have a feeling as if a lot of sharp points are being put quickly and lightly into your body: My toes and fingers are tingling with the cold.
e.g. There's a line in that poem that makes my spine tingle every time I read it.

- to sting 2 to cause sharp but usually temporary pain: The soap/smoke/sweat stung my eyes. e.g. This type of disinfectant doesn't sting, even if you put it on a fresh cut.

- itch [I] to have or cause an uncomfortable feeling on the skin which makes you want to rub it with your nails
e.g. I can't wear wool - it makes me itch.

- pierce [I + adverb or preposition; T] to go into or through something, making a hole in it using a sharp point
e.g. The needle pierces the fabric four times a second.

- twinge /noun [C] a sudden short feeling of physical or mental pain
e.g. I felt a twinge in my knee.
e.g. He was feeling twinges from a calf injury after 20 minutes of the game.

- smart (STING) [I] 1 to cause someone to feel a stinging pain
e.g. My eyes were smarting from the onions.

- pang / noun [C] a sudden sharp feeling, especially of painful emotion
e.g. a pang of jealousy
e.g. We hadn't eaten since yesterday and the hunger pangs were getting harder to ignore.

CU all tomorrow!
xoxo Mari

No comments: